Friday, April 28, 2017

The Importance of Taking Your Medication

Taking your prescribed medication, is imperative to your overall well-being. You cannot take it sometimes, feel good, and then decide to stop taking it. This lands many people back in the hospital. It’s OK to have to have medications for your mental health. Some church people or well-meaning friends may say, “If you prayed harder, you can be healed,” or “If you have enough faith,” you can stop taking your medicine. God does heal, but sometimes He chooses to heal through doctors and medication. Take a diabetic, for instance. He/She has to take their insulin. No one would tell a diabetic that if they prayed harder they would be healed. If someone breaks their leg, no one would tell them that they could be healed if they had enough faith. That person would go to the ER where God has placed doctors and nurses to help them heal. This goes the same for people with mental disabilities. It is also wise to listen to your psychiatrist over how to take your medications. I once had a family doctor who told me that I could stop taking my medications for my bi-polar and be okay. He said that I should instead, read his recommended book, and educate myself about my illness. While it is beneficial to educate yourself on your illness, you should only listen to your psychiatrist whenever it comes to your mental health. He is supposed to be the expert in the mental health field. A few years back, I attended a Women of Faith Conference, where Sheila Walsh was the guest speaker. Sheila takes medication for a mental illness. I liked what she had to say: “If I have to take medication for my mental health until I get to Heaven, then I am fine with that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment