Friday, April 28, 2017

Beware of Wolves

Jesus warns us of false prophets in Matthew 7:15-“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.” (NKJV) Today, I want to talk to you about t.v. evangelists who promise a “breakthrough,” for your life if you call in for prayer and make a donation. These so called “preachers” are concerned only with lining their own pockets. They mainly prey on four types of people: the elderly, the naive, the greedy, and the mentally ill. Ask me how I know? I had to learn the hard way.

A few years before my diagnosis, I would regularly call a certain “ministry” for prayer and send them money. The ministry would then send convincing letters encouraging me that I would be greatly blessed financially if I would continue to fund them. They would also send frequent prayer request forms promising a “breakthrough” for me. One day, I went online and saw a picture of this ministry’s facility with police vehicles surrounding it. The article that followed told of how the minister and his family had abused the received funds by extravagant shopping sprees and other outlandish personal purchases. That day, I learned three valuable lessons: 1.) Trust Jesus for your breakthrough and not man, 2.) Tithe and give to your own church, and 3.) If you feel led to fund a ministry, do your own homework by checking out whether they have accountability standards.

Let Matthew 6:24 guide you- “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon (money).” Remember this: God has already richly blessed you, whether with a family, time, a job, friends, a home, and maybe even a savings account. Listen for Jesus’s direction only, and be sure to thank Him daily for your blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment